Thursday, November 02, 2006

AKCL, CLISP, and the Undergrad Environment

I played around very briefly with AKCL. It appears to work for the very basics. I created a function and called it. Yay. But when I tried to quit, (exit) failed. exit was an undefined function. quit also was not recognized. Ctrl+C was eaten up by the top level interpreter and didn't kill the app. I had to terminate the process from another terminal.

In trying to google a way to quit the program, I discovered that AKCL has been turned into GNU CL and AKCL's last version was created over a decade ago. GNU CL was last updated last year, but its not on the school system.

CLISP is not GNU CL. CLISP, however, is a GNU project. We seem to have a name collision here. Anyway, CLISP is found at http://clisp.cons.org

Further snooping around the CLISP website, I've discovered that CLISP does not pass its makefile tests on the Sparc processor. There's no unix/sparc implementation available for download. This could be why the MFCF isn't giving us any help. MIT Scheme might be our best option.

2 comments:

Robert said...

So MIT Scheme seems like our best bet.

Dimitri Gnidash said...

I am currently trying to install Steel Blamk Common Lisp which supports Solaris and was recommneded by http://bc.tech.coop/blog/060403.html